- If you go down to the woods today, you’re sure of a big surprise! Just what on earth have you just stumbled upon? When I was planning this body of work I wanted to include some cracking nostalgic pieces that brought back all of those memories from growing up in the 80’s.
‘Doctor Who’ was a must, it sticks in my head from watching with my family. The quirkiness was great but even with the ropey special effects it had a darkness that caused a particular recurring nightmare that I will leave well alone!
I felt that there was a big opportunity to create something really special, something that didn’t appear to have been done to date, a scene loaded with an incredible amount of detail that was truly authentic and that the die-hard fans could embrace. It’s not a subject that you can rush or take on lightly for sure.
The catalyst for ‘Time Lord’ was the huge new chapter with the series that saw the introduction of the first female Doctor played by the talented Jodie Whittaker, an actress who I had the pleasure of meeting through my obsession with the ITV drama ‘Broadchurch’ with the plot truly capturing my imagination and the soundtrack inspiring so many of my works.
I love to inject a subtle narrative within the detail of the scene and this was embraced with the battle of control between the new arrival and the previous Doctor. There are small references to seek out that suggest something is going on, it just depends on how your mind works!
A piece created to enjoy and to interact with, to stir up great memories, to take a trip back in time whilst looking to the future - see what I did there? There is so much to spot and interpret, some obvious, some random, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on what is going on down in the woods.
I absolutely loved working on ‘Time Lord’, and it’s given me the opportunity for closure. Those bloody Cybermen scared the hell out of me as a kid so the saying ‘putting lipstick on a pig’ has been well and truly actioned here, it’s over!
We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
- Released: 2018
- Collection: A New Chapter
- Edition Size: 10
- Specification: Limited edition fine art print, hand signed by artist.
- Image Size: 32” x 24"
- Framed Size (Approx): 42” x 34"
Get in touch for overseas delivery
- Please allow approximately 14 days for delivery, should you need delivery sooner please let us know.