- The aim was to find a way that combines music, movies, arcades and toys and to give each a real presence but all coming together to create an authentic street scene. So I have created a street scene that focuses on an ageing shop that is full of all of the amazing things that you draw from when reminiscing, there is an enchanting window display with toys and games in front of a strong purple curtain that hints at more wonders further into the shop that are obscured.
There is a message on the shopfront warning people that objects in the shop window appear larger in your head - playing on the fact that when you think back to getting a present the box was so much bigger than it actually was, castle greyskull for me was just that, the box seemed to be 10ft wide. There is a grabber placed in the window above the display, the idea here is that it represents your brain where it can grab an object and it’s memory and plant it in your head - the shop is exactly that - it represents your memories hence the sign saying the shop is always open.
It is these deep rooted memories that stay with us and are ageless regardless of everything outside that changes over time. To support the street scene there is also a hint of an old cinema and arcade that shows the overlaid posters to give that sense of time passing. There is so much to see, some blatant, some really subtle like the family photos that have been engrained into the wood. I have used maple leaves to add detail to the scene, these work nicely to interact with the objects and have featured green to red to further signify time passing. I will leave you to spot everything else.
- Released: 2018
- Collection: A New Chapter
- Edition Size: 25
- Specification: Limited edition fine art print, hand signed by artist.
- Image Size: 25” x 18.5"
- Framed Size (Approx): 32” x 26"
Get in touch for overseas delivery
- Please allow approximately 14 days for delivery, should you need delivery sooner please let us know.