- In 2016 I created a piece entitled ‘High Ho’ which showed Snow White in a very different light. She had her Prince, she could have lived happily ever after but she threw it all away and ended up hitting rock bottom, holed up in a derelict church within the forest, devoid of money and self-worth she had resorted to other ways of feeding her habit. Yet what defined a happy life? A life built on materialistic luxuries that glossed over the cracks that ran riot.
The hope was to create a piece that makes you change your opinion on the girl out of view, we can be so quick to judge and dismiss. I try to encourage a closer look, for clues that create empathy towards the young woman. Is she a monster, or is she the victim of the cards that she has been dealt?
So for this piece entitled ‘Fear Is How I Fall’ it sets a scene that can either be the prequel, or sequel depending on how you view it. Have you walked into her room before her downfall, where you notice the contributing factors starting to blow in from the world outside? Or are we actually in fact seeing her after being rescued once again by her Prince who simply could not walk away like others who had already done so.
If you favour the latter you will notice that cracks remain, clouding the clear. Do her phantoms still stand tall behind her? Her wounds, they will not heal. The title ‘Fear Is How I Fall’ suggests fragility, bringing with it empathy. There’s something inside her that pulls beneath the surface, consuming, confusing.
This is a classic example of how I strive to show the proximity that darkness resides to light, where one can so easily fall back yet equally walk clear. Will good win out? Will she live happily ever after? I really hope so!
- Released: 2018
- Collection: A New Chapter
- Edition Size: 10
- Specification: Limited edition fine art print, hand signed by artist.
- Image Size: 32” x 24"
- Framed Size (Approx): 42” x 34"
Get in touch for overseas delivery
- Please allow approximately 14 days for delivery, should you need delivery sooner please let us know.